8 oz. can of Hunts® Tomato Sauce
6 oz. can of Contadina® Tomato Paste
6 oz. can of water (or ¾ cup of wine)
1 lb. 95% lean ground beef
1 small onion chopped
1 teaspoon of dried garlic* (or two cloves of fresh garlic minced)
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
Sauté onions and green bell pepper in extra virgin olive oil until onions are translucent (softened). Add ground beef to pan. Break up ground beef with a wooden spoon until browned. Add remaining ingredients. Stir gently until all ingredients are fully incorporated. Place lid on the pot and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 14.5 oz. can of Aldi’s Sliced Stewed Tomatoes* – leave whole for a chunky sauce or break up tomato slices with a wooden spoon or use an emersion blender for a smoother sauce.
- 1 package of sweet* or hot Italian Sausage (4 links) grilled*or baked and sliced
- 1 teaspoon of basil pesto* (Aldi’s has a good one that is very inexpensive)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil – stack basil leaves, roll them into a cigar shape and Julian (cut into strips with a knife).
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes or more if you like a hotter sauce
This is my mother’s recipe.